Happy 2017, friends! Another year has passed and we've got another fresh slate ahead of us.
I have been thinking a lot about the resolutions I want to make for myself this year. I do have certain things that I want to accomplish by the end of this year (which will be another blog post entirely), but while flipping through an old journal I came across a list of reminders that I kept for my future self. And wow, does past me have some insight. (Thanks, Em!)
I wanted to share this list with you today in case you were struggling to come up with a way to improve yourself in 2017. I made a similar post previously titled 15 things to do in 2015, which went viral on Pinterest. I've got to be honest with you, though: I didn't do as many of them as I thought I would.
These are more manageable and relatable and applicable to real life... right here, right now. Not something you'll pin and then never look at again. ;)
I really hope you get as much out of these reminders as I did. Here we go!
17 Little Things to Remind Yourself in 2017
- There are people who love you and care about you and they want to see you succeed.
- Move around more. You don't have to go to the gym 7 days a week, but do a yoga or pilates video every once in a while and go on more walks. Your body was meant to move, not stay on the couch all day.
- You'll feel better when you eat real food, so do that. Eat more vegetables (and make sure you're drinking enough water).
- It feels really good to get rid of clutter and to donate old clothing/items you won't use.
- Give yourself a set time to get ready for bed. Being on a schedule and having the structure of a routine feels good.
- Stay on top of your laundry. Yes, really. Enjoy walking around all day in clean clothes and smelling like sunshine and fabric softener.
- Do your best to stay organized, but don't let it stress you out. (You have a habit of having cluttered surfaces, Em. That's just not cute.)
- Pamper yourself every so often. Do a face mask, paint your nails, exfoliate. Do something nice for your body. Go ahead - treat yo self.
- Stressed, depressed, bored, or heartsick? Don't let it get to you. Things will always get better, even when it seems like it won't. Go put on some comfortable clothes and curl up with a good book or your favorite movie.
- Go for a digital detox every once in a while (and give your eyes/brain a break).
- Do something that makes you nervous. Sign up for that art class, call that friend you lost touch with in high school, go see a movie by yourself. Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.
- Writing things down makes them more concrete. Write down little goals for yourself and start working on them, and make a to-do list for the rest of the stuff you need to get done.
- Make time to see your friends. Relationships outside of college are hard to keep up, so pick up that phone and make the first move. You'll be glad you did.
- Explore a new hobby that you've had a passing interest in. (Mine is dance!)
- Don't let your romantic relationships affect the rest of your friendships. Having supportive friendships can be just as fulfilling as having a romantic partner.
- Sing your own song. Don't just go with the flow - really take the time to figure out what is important to you and fight for it.
- You really are good enough. (Really.)